ISIS ‘hit squads and sleeper cells’ are in Europe after slipping in alongside refugees, German spy chief warns
BayLfv vice president Manfred Hauser revealed the ‘substantial reports’
The German spy said there were ‘hundreds’ of reports to investigate
Europe is on high alert after a wave of summer terrorist attacks
A top German spy has warned there are ISIS ‘hit squads and sleeper cells’ hiding in Europe who snuck in among refugees.
Manfred Hauser, the vice president of Bavaria’s domestic intelligence agency, BayLfv, said there were ‘substantial reports’ of the threat.
The fear of a terror threat relating to mass refugee flows into Europe from the war in Syria has been heightened by a wave of summer attacks in Germany, France and Belgium.
ISISissie fighters, on the Iraq-Syria border, have slipped into Europe amid refugee flows and have set up hit squads
While the recent attacks have mostly involved home-grown terrorists the fear of radicalisation and training has worried security agencies.
Mr Hauser told the BBC Today programme: ‘We have to accept that we have hit squads and sleeper cells in Germany.
‘We have substantial reports that among the refugees there are hit squads.
‘There are hundreds of these reports, some from refugees themselves.
‘We are still following up on these, and we haven’t investigated all of them fully.’
Train staff on the east coast plot three days of strike…
And relax! Theresa May’s first holiday as PM is revealed as…
Germany is on high alert after a series of bloody attacks in the last month.
ISIS terrorists claimed responsibility for an attack on July 18 near Wuerzburg in Bavaria in which a 17-year-old refugee believed to be from Pakistan or Afghanistan wounded five people with an axe before police shot him dead.
A 27-year-old Syrian who blew himself up in Ansbach, southern Germany on July 24 had pledged allegiance to ISIS on a videofound on his mobile phone, investigators said.
ISIS later claimed responsibility for the bombing, which wounded 15 people.
The Bastille Day attacks in Nice shook Europe as a terrorist took a lorry on a rampage along the promenade, killing 84
The attack was the worse in Europe since the Paris attacks in November last year
On July 22, a teenager went on the rampage with a gun murdering nine young people after luring them to a MacDonald’s and opening fire.
The massacre of 84 people on Bastille Day in Nice, in mid July, shook France and the wider continent as the terror threat returned.
A further ISIS-inspired attack in Normandy, in which Catholic priest Father Jacques Hamel was murdered during Mass, raised fears further still on July 26.
Police are pictured investigating the scene of an explosion in Ansbach, Germany, after a 27-year-old Syrian blew himself up in an attack claimed by ISIS..